Golly wolly we're now into third year. Where has the time gone? But I digress, so for our first brief we have been instructed to produce a mime piece that heavily involves the use of after effects.
I have chosent oplace my puppet in a stormy weather senario where he will be walking along before being buffered around in the wind and rain.
So without further delay, lets move onto the builds.
Here is my armature I will be using for this project. Since this breif is focusing mainly on the animation and use of after effects I decided not to go over board with the build so I constructed a basic torso and waist out of polystyrene
I call him... Tim.
I wanted the hands however to have some bulk to them in orde to make the easier to animate and as a means of practicing silicone casting.
Like many of my previous puppets these were designed with K&S to allow them to be detached in case any damage came to them.
I used polycraft silicone for the cast along with the hand mouls which I made for Rags the scarecrow back in second year. To see the work from that project please go here:-
And here is the final result. A nice pair of Mickey mouse look alike glove hands.
I shall pop these on behind camera, in the mean time lets take a look at the scarf.
For the scarf I chose to give it a spiffing checkered pattern using crafts tape. However the tape alone wasn't strong enough to hold together so I added a coat of epoxy so the wire and both halves of the scarf would hold together.
The scarf measured at around 10 inches as I planned to have a section wrap around the neck of the character.
The wire was placed inside the scarf before I sealed the end by folding the tape over on itself. I let the glue set so that the wire wouldn't move while finishing it off.
With the second piece of tape placed on top I then carefully sealed the seams along the edges. This took about half an hour to set but then I was able to roll up the end that would sit on the puppets neck.
Once the scarf was constructed, this is what it looked like.
And here is Tim in situe with his snazzy little scarf on.
The umbrella prop was rather tricky to build. I shall be explaining the pbuild process for this in my next blog update but in the ean time here is a shot of the set layout I will be working with.